On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:17:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Dan Frakes wrote:
>>I have heard nothing but good things about Hi-Space discs, from both
>>retailers and reviewers. Do you have any evidence to your claim that they
>>are inferior, and should not be used for "important" recordings?
>
>>I've been examining some of my Hi-Space discs compared to some of my Sony
>>and TDK discs, and I can't see any of the "patchy bits" you describe.
>
>>Are you saying that we shouldn't use Hi-Space discs for "important"
>>recordings because they are less expensive?
>

>Hi-Space would love you.
>theres a sales manager job going if interested...
>(dont think Id get the job after my last post)
>http://www.hi-space.com/eng/pages/general/jobs1.html

I wasn't plugging them ;) I was only telling you my experiences and what
I've heard about them. Your criticisms of Hi-Space just seemed to be out
of line with everything else I've heard. I was asking for clarification.

>The only problems I have ever had with blanks are from
>Maxell and Hi-space. Several times Making a recording with a new disc
>freshly unwraped from the plastic only to find it wont play
>correctly. Also lots of UTOC errors.
>It was not my equipment as on the occasions where this did happen
>I tried a Sony MZR-30 a Sony S38 and a Sony MZR-90 to make sure,
>and I gave a disc to a friend with an MD build into a hi-fi
>and she got errors too.

Just as a side note, if your MD somehow caused errors on a disc,
especially to the TOC, that disc will then have problems in other units,
as well. So that technically doesn't rule out your machine as being the
cause. If other people were having those problems on their own equipment
*before* your equipment every touched the discs, that lends support to
your theory.

>The patchy bits. Ive seen when holding them up to strong light.
>TDK/Sony look fairly smooth and uniform wheres the Hi-space Ive had
>do not look uniform. Ever see stress marks/colours on plastic?
>those rainbow colours? there are lots more on the hi-space disks
>than there are on more expensive brands.

I understand. I was simply saying that I've examined a number of my discs
(Hi-Space, Sony, TDK, Maxell) and don't see any differences in the disc
surfaces. I have noticed that the Maxell dics seem to be "cheaper" in
construction, though.