On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:53:42 -0800, Aileen Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i am going to be getting a new shelf system for christmas, and i was
>looking at the sony md-x5...does anybody have any praises or gripes
>about the system? i heard it in the store...the sound seems kind of
>weak, but i happen to like the built-in MD recorder/player.
>
>While I'm on that subject.. is it better to have a separate deck or
>to have an integrated system? All I do is copy cds to md, and i
>occasionally dump mp3s onto md (though I'm considering getting a
>portable to do the mp3->md). i already have a je-320 and i was
>considering just buying a shelf system with an optical digital out so
>that i could do transfers and such...but the MD-X5 is so much cheaper
>and seems like a good idea... =)
>
>Does anybody have any recommendations about this subject at all? :)
>Please let me know or point me to someplace that can help me out.

Eileen: Do you mean the *Sharp* MD-X5? If so, it's an OK unit. We got one
for $99 and it's definitely worth that. I don't know if I'd pay more than
$150 or so for it.

How much are you looking to spend? As far as MD minisystems go, I've
mentioned on the list before that my personal favorite (by far) is the
JVC FSMD9000. It lists for $770, but I've seen it for around $220 - $270.

It looks very nice, has all the usual functionality,and is the
best-sounding mini-system I've heard.

<http://www.jvc.com/subprod.jsp?modelId=MODL023005>