> First, you need an MD with a digital output.  So far as I know, there
> are no portables with digital out, only digital in, therefore
> you will have to use a home MD deck.  Then you need a sound card with
> a digital INPUT, many have only digital output.  The
> setup I use is a Sony MDS-PC2 deck with an Maudio DIO2448 sound card.
>  (I have great reservations recommending the
> DIO2448, because it has severe timing problems that make its digital
> output useless, however the digital input works OK;
> perhaps the DIO2496 works better.)  I use CoolEdit 2000 to record to
> a WAV file while the MD plays.  This approach does
> NOT transfer track marks (in the form of separate WAV files for each
> track) or titling information, nor does it control the MD
> deck during the transfer; you must do that manually.
-- I am using almost the same setup as you, except that I use JE510. I
like DIO2448. I have not used it for output, but for input, I found
that there is a timing problem only if I use optical input. Now I pipe
the signal from JE510 into CO2 (Midiman's Coax-to-Optical converter)
via optical connection and from CO2 to DIO2496 via coaxial connection.
With maximum buffer sizes allocated in CoolEdit 2000 (Trial) I am yet
to loose any noticeble time. Figuring out track marks might take
another hour...