* "Howard Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 15 Jan 2001
| about 4000 samples. So, it's been pretty much impossible for me to do a
| direct bit-for-bit comparison of the ATRAC audio with the original WAV data.

And useless, by the way.

If you make a recording of a cricket chirping and a jumbo jet flies
overhead, you cannot hear the cricket over the sound of the jet.  ATRAC
removes the sounds the cricket makes.  When you do the bitwise comparison
of the original vs. the reduced version, you can hear the cricket because
that is what was removed, assuming that the fidelity of the original
recording is sufficient to have picked it up in the first place.  But that
tells you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN REALLY HEAR.  The objective
comparison is fundamentally flawed because hearing is subjective.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should