Hi everyone!

There are times when we want to copy recordings that are on a standard
cassette to MiniDIsc or a computer's hard disk for "polishing up" with
programs like CoolEdit.

A format that has been forgotten about is the Digital Compact Cassette,
which was discontinued in 1997. One feature that was heavily promoted in the
format was the ability for DCC hardware to play standard cassettes using
auto-reverse, auto-search, the ability to handle chrome and metal tapes, and
Dolby B & C decoding (in the case of home decks). I often wonder whether it
is worth it to use one of these decks as a tape player for this purpose?
This also includes the question whether any home DCC deck ever uses the A-D
subsystem to digitise the standard cassette's signal for exporting via the
SP/DIF output?

For this purpose (of digitising standard cassette recordings), should I
stick to a regular cassette deck or use a secondhand DCC deck as a cassette
playback deck? When choosing a tape deck for this purpose, what features
should I be concerned about?

With regards,

Simon Mackay