... Orange writes:

> I've been recording some of my own professional mixes using my MDS-
> JB920 and have noticed that the recording level indicator doesn't
> reflect the level of the audio on playback. Sometimes the level will
> peak and flash red (not very often) when recording, although I try
> to prevent that, but on playback the level seems to be one bar below
> and the peak indicator does not light up. This is true for almost
> all levels.
>
> Is there a reason for this? Perhaps to prevent users from recording
> at too high a level.

That's because the red peak indication in record mode is telling you that
your input is too loud, and that any samples over the peak (in the red) will
not/can not be recorded. This is what clipping is; any samples over the red
peak are clipped (discarded). Therefore, when you play back, the highest the
recording can go is up to the peak, but never beyond.