>I'm hoping to find a deck that will do high-speed dubbing from
>cassette tapes (voice, not music, so absolute hi fi isn't required)

This would be sorta convoluted, but if you had an MD deck AND a Sony JB940
deck connected to it, you could actually run your tape thru a dubbing deck
and record the double-speed signal (analog, of course) onto the 940, then
copy it onto the other MD deck while playing it back slowed down by half
speed to normal.  The 940 lets you vary the playback speed slower (but not
faster).

Unfortunately, this wouldn't save you time in the end, but it would get your
tapes copied off the cassettes faster and let you edit your MD versions at
your leisure.  And you can often edit speed tapes at a much higher speed
than normal.