From: "las" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The first sense to fatigue is olfactory (smell).  But hearing can't be far
down the line.  If you keep A/B testing the more you do it the more
difficult it becomes to tell one from the other. When you are dealing with
clear differences such as the sound from a TV speaker compared with your
home stereo system, even if you match the volume, you would obviously have
no problem distinguishing the difference.

Ahhhh. This is a common argument forwarded by the subjectivist camp in audio
jounalism. So...in other words...we can't trust our OWN ears and therefore
must trust those of a magazine reviewer or an audio salon salesman to tell
us which sounds better, no? Is there no objective means of determining a
component's performance? Or the differences between components?

> But when you are attempting to compare a CD with its digital copy, even
matching the volume perfectly, the more you listen the harder it will become
to tell the difference.  Even the slightest difference in volume
or eq will effect the results.

Or, perhaps the differences between well designed equipment are actually so
insignificant that they disappear under well controlled double blind
conditions and (particularly) when the price tag is hidden.

Don C.