Actually, I'd prefer it the otherway around or even a hybrid of the two....
I am not much of audiophile but I do know ATRAC sounds better than
MP3/WMA/Etc but the reason I chose MD over MP3 players for the medium
itself. I like the idea of having small and well-protected(well..scract
proof) that can hold 74min of music (well...now thanks to MDLP that
increased) all for very very cheap price. Only if someone could find a way
to increase the recording speed on MDs from computer to MD....man I'd be all
over that along with whole lotta other people...I'd bet. Once that is done I
am sure manufactures will start adding whole lotta of extra
features....which we'd benefit from.

SONY should spend time and money on the MD medium itself rather than the
ATRAC codec....cause as we all know new codecs come around promising to be
the one but they never live up to the claim....by investing in the medium
itself I am sure there will be MD recorders that are flash upgradable that
can make use new codecs as they come...dont get me wrong...I'd love to see
ATRAC win it....but we all know general public dont care about the
codec...they just want the music...and most of them want it for free and of
the net...err napster I mean.

So sum up my dumb ramblings...ATRAC is good...but wont make it :(
MD the medium itself...awesome...wont make it if SONY or even other
manufactures dont make it directly competitive to other portables :(
MP3s more specifically...one immediate way to do this is by making audio
transfer from PC to MD...same speed as MP3 players

Just my worthless two cents....

-icantelu

PS I'm fairly new here...by that I mean few months old subscriber and
semi-happy owner of 722 :)