OK, I feel a bit crazy expressing my *hate* for what is afterall
simply a consumer audio product. But at the end of the day, surely
Iomega's hip-zip is the most *pointless*, *overpriced* personal audio
solution in exsitence?! The merits of vanilla (ie solid-state)
personal MP3s have been debated in this forum at tedious length, but
the Hip-zip is something different. Why would anyone want to shell
out 290 UK Pounds on a gadget, (a similar size to minidisc units),
which can only fit 40 minutes of audio onto a disc, has a poor
battery life, and for which fresh discs cost a tenner? Oh, and of
course, you *still* have to plug it into your computer to put dump
new stuff onto its discs. Its absolutely ludicrous. Despite their
cons, vanilla MP3s have a significant advantage over minidiscs in
terms of size (look at Sony's network walkman) but WHY oh WHY oh WHY
would anyone want a Hip-Zip.? Its completely beyond me.
        Anybody else got an opinion on this (or indeed has anyone else noted
any other *really* stupid electronic products?)
        On a somewhat brighter note, as I sit here in John Rylands
university library in Manchester, I see a lot of people listening to
minidiscs and very few tape walkmans (and this being the UK, no MP3
players at all). With every day that passes, I see less and less
tapes around, and a *lot* more minidiscs. Minidiscs may be suffering
a slow death in the US, but over here they're doing *very*
well. More people are buying them, and more shops are stocking more
equipment and more accessories.
        Robin.