The groove can't be tightened without rendering the disc incompatible with
existing equipment - the gap between grooves on 80-minute discs are already
at the lower limit of what Sony says MD equipments should be able to handle.

A way of getting 90 minutes (or more?) would be to use an 80-minute disc and
spin it at a lower speed. However, it seems that we don't have materials
that would have the physical properties necessary to allow that.

Leon