> Hi.  I just ordered my first Minidisc unit, a Sharp MT831!  I'm quite
> excited!  *calms down*  Anyway, I have a question about it's included
LiIon
> battery ... is it available from anywhere besides Sharp Japan?

Well, you can certainly get them in the UK.  I'm pretty sure every country
that sells Sharp gear will also sell Sharp accessories, somewhere.

> Anything else I should watch for with the 831 by the way?  I plan on
> carrying it in some sort of padded bag most of the time, taking as good
> care of it as I can given very frequent use, ... what's likely to go bad
on
> it eventually?  Buttons?

Taking VERY good care of the Sharp831 is a VERY GOOD IDEA... the buttons on
these units are brown-grey plastic covered in metallic silver paint and the
paint flaked off mine (no, not totally, but almost all of the buttons had
sizeable areas of the plastic showing from under the paint) in a matter of
months (like, three months) - and I kept it in its felt bag all the time!
Also the battery cover on mine managed to work itself loose over time and
after that was never quite able to make a solid battery connection (the
battery only makes contact when the cover is securely shut)

Needless to say I took mine back - and in fact swapped it for a Sony MZR90
(which has a better atrac encoder for recording, but worse
pretty-much-everything-else ... ).

Just some things to watch out for.