As if further proof were needed of the way that MD has caught on in
the UK, minidiscs are to be included in the Retail Price Index (RPI).
For the benefit of American readers (and anyone else unaware of the
RPI), the RPI is a stat showing  the cost of 650 goods, used to
measure the cost of living in the UK. It is issued by the Office for
National Statistics and is treated as significant economic measure by
economists. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether they are meauring the
cost of the players or the blanks. However, for minidiscs to be
considered in the 650 most significant products in the UK (and that
includes *all* products areas - even bread and milk!) I reckon is
pretty good.
        I've no idea what the American equivalent of the RPI is,
but guess it would be more-or-less unthinkable that minidiscs would
appear on it. (Please excuse me for feeling smug)
        Robin.