payvand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i read here the other day that the MZ-R70 is not a good unit.
>
> can someone that knows the score, tell me exactly what its limitations
> are?

It depends what you plan to do with it.

The Sony MZ-R35, -R37, -R70, -R90 and -R91 have a common problem that
makes them less than desirable for live concert recording: they do not
have a low sensitivity setting for the mic pre-amp.  So if you record
loud music, the mic pre-amp will tend to overload and distort.  For that
reason we recommend other Sony models: the older MZ-R55, -R50 and R30;
and the new -900.  And the -R70 is a bit slow and noisy.  (By the way,
they're all fine for ripping tracks from CDs.)

But in general (and except for the Sony -900), for concert recording,
the Sharp MD recorders are better choices.  The Sharps allow you to
change recording levels while you're recording -- the Sony's require you
to go into "Pause."  We'd strongly recommend the Sharp MS-722, -821,
-831 or -SR60.  If budget is a strong consideration then we'd recommend
the Sharp MT-15, MT-20 or MT-66 -- they lack the automatic gain control,
have 10 second (rather than 40 second) buffers but are still good,
reliable recorders.

Chris Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, a related question, what are the *BEST* earbuds, forgetting all about
> cost? ...

In my opinion, the Etymotic ER-4S, ER-4B and ER-4P in-ear 'phones are
among the best available at any price (including the Grado RS-1, HP-1
and Sennheiser HD-600).

I hope this helped!

Len Moskowitz             Binaural and StealthMics (tm), Cables, Interfaces
Core Sound                http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
Teaneck, New Jersey       http://www.core-sound.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912