Hey all,

Just in case this hasn't been investigated, I opened up some of my MD
equipments and looked at the chips. These are what I've observed:

Sharp MD-MT831

My Sharp 831's ATRAC chip is LR37812. For reference, I have a Kenwood DMC-K5
(Sharp ST521 clone, hence Sharp ATRAC 6), and it has LR37811.

Apart from that, the 831 has an Oki DRAM (MSM51V17405D).

There is Rohm's BD6603KVT, an MD-specific driver IC. It controls spindle,
thread, focus, tracking, (recording?) head up/down, etc.

Other Sharp chips that I've been able to find online:
1R3R58M (RF amp)
1R3R59N (audio amp)
1R3M12N (DC/DC converter, increases/decreases voltage)

There are a couple Sharp chips that I haven't been able to track down.
There's still no knowing what kind of A/D D/A converter the 831 uses.
Sony MZ-R900

The ATRAC chip is CXD2670GA.

There are several Motorola chips (XPC18A22FC, XPC18A32FC, SC111257FC) and a
TI chip (07C22XJ ; SN761057) that I couldn't find info on.
Kenwood DMC-L5

The L5 uses Sony ATRAC (CXD2665GA) - hereby, we know for sure that the L5 is
not a Sharp clone. This seems to be a chip from the Sony R90/91 generation
(I think the Sony E80 has 2662GA).

Rohm's BD6606KVT is used in the L5. The difference between this and the 831
Rohm chip is that this one doesn't control the up/down of head.  There's
also an NEC chip that I couldn't identify.
Panasonic SJ-MJ88

At the heart of the MJ88 is Panasonic's latest generation of
micro-computers, the MNG101C32GAE.  It has 128Kx8bit ROM, has internal flash
memory, no EPROM, has ADC driver (?). The programming language used for this
chip is C.

Based on Matsushita's news release, power consumption of this micro-computer
is down to as low as 50% of its predecessor.

There are no Sanyo chips in the MJ88, as far as I can see, unlike previous
Panasonic MD players.

Rohm's BD6640KVT is used in the MJ88. This is also an MD-specific driver IC.
The 6640 has software switching (?), the 6606 doesn't.

These are highly technical, hopefully they'll be useful in one way or
another.

Leon