Sony owns 50.7% of Aiwa, but has allowed for a fair amount of independence
in product development. Up til now, it seems that Aiwa chooses for
themselves whether they want to clone/borrow from Sony or not.

For instance, the F80 has Sony ATRAC but also uses a D/A A/D converter from
Philips. Aiwa (to the best of my knowledge) has not chosen to license
G-protection from Sony, either - something that would work to their
advantage in several ways.

The relationship is quite like the Matsushita/JVC relationship: the "owner"
allows the smaller company considerable freedom as long as they target a
different piece of the pie.

Based on examples from other industries, Aiwa may either borrows Sony's R&D
results, or specialize in a specific area (e.g. portables). There are
certainly other choices for them, too.

Leon