Sony doesn't say, and now it is impossible to find out unless Sony tells us.
The reason for this is that Sony now uses different ATRAC DSP chips for the
portables and the decks.

We can safely assume, however, that it is not type-R, because it would have
been an important advantage over other portables.

Leon