> I really don't think any one cares about compression anymore.  It used

Depends on the kind of compression. On my home MD unit, it uses Pioneer
ASRAC
(which is basically a modified version of Sony version 4 i believe) and it
sounds
excellent. Compressed/lossy areas are always those that are out of the range
of
human hearing--I cannot tell any difference in fidelity.

MP3, on the other hand, sounds horrific a lot of the time. Depends on
compression
level, but I can't listen to most MP3's unless they are at least 160kps,
preffable
192kps. Perhaps it is the encoding software or codecs used, but a lot of MP3
files
sound tinny, or lose their dynamic range, it don't know what it is. But I
can tell
the difference between that an pure .WAV file with no compression.

> As far as I can tell, however, vinyl, cassette, and even MD are
>virtually all dead.  I don't know anyone close to my age that listens to

I know of quite a few people on the net that use MD, but no one else in
"real life".  I certainly hope it's not dead---should I start stocking
up on blanks?  Do we know if manufacturers plan on halting production any
time soon?

> stayed the same.  MDLP was a step in the right direction, but it's STILL
> realtime recording, STILL inconvenient as an MP3 playback device (when
> compared to alternatives).

Absolutely.

We need to see portable MD units with a USB line-in for FAST
digital MP3 copying. Exactly like you said, with a coded for conversion
from MP3 to ATRAC.

Also, an SP/DIF or Toslink digital output (a feature you can only find on
home MD decks right now.)

Unfortunatly, I don't think this is gonna happen due to SCMS. :-(