On Sun, 13 May 2001, Jim Coon wrote:

        Hi,

> Going lower than recommended can damage equipment.  Higher impedance
> generally won't harm anything.  There may be some fidelety issues, but
> it sholdn't damage anything AFAIK.

        I used to think that, but do the math: IMHO when using AC, higher
impedances -> higher voltages, less intensity; results: less volume, but
usually better sound; maybe because that voltage increase enhances factor
damping, and reduces distortion.

        Will voltage increase will damage your output amp stage? I use too
a MS722 with a pair of 32 Ohm headphones and haven't experienced any
problems, but YMMV...

        BTW what an odd impedance, did you get it by measuring or is
specified on its specs? impedances are usually power/multiple of 2
numbers... 2, 4, 8, 16, 24, 32, etc...

> > I just got some new headphones - Panasonic RP-HT710's. They have a 58ohm
> > impedance, and I have a Sharp MD-MS722. It says 16-19ohm impedance in the
> > manual. Need I worry?
> > -Rob
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        cheers,

Francisco J. Montilla - System & Network admin - Seville - Spain
pacopepe>AT>insflug.org - irc: pukka - Coordinador INSFLUG (insflug.org)
DoQmail: qmail en castellano es.qmail.org - OpenSlink Project: slink.org