I'm in the UK and have a DVD player (the Scan SC-2000). It has optical
audio output. However when recording CDs to either my MZ-R90 or a
MDS-JE330 deck, track makrs are not inserted into the MD at the correct
place. I presumed this was because the unit is a DVD player, not
specifically a CD player. However I have jheard from people who have the
unit and have been able to successfully record the track marks.

In the options of the audio output there is either Bitstream or PCM (I
have tried both and still no track marks).  I have tried using the
portable with Record Synch on and off (btw does record sync have to be
set to "on" for the track marks to be recorded properly with optical
recording?).  With the MDS-JE300 I have tried enabling the TR_Sync
options, to no avail.

Also, I am considering buying a new CD player (probably the Sony
CDPXE330). Can I be sure that the optical outputs og these untis will
output the track mark information?

TIA