re: KD-MX3000 manual online: http://www.minidisc.org/jvc_kdmx3000_manual.pdf
(Where else, but www.minidisc.org, eh? Actually, I believe the JVC-Canada
web
site had this file originally: http://www.jvc.ca/manuals/KD-MX3000.pdf )

re: USB - optical: I know of three options: Roland UA30, EgoSys U2A, and
Canopus MD-Port. The former two can be had for around $240 typically. The
latter can only be ordered from Japan, and cost me around $220 thru
JapanDirect.
I find myself annoyed at some of the limitations of the MD-Port, and wish I
had
bought one of the other two instead. My brother has an EgoSys U2A, which
works
very well. The MD-Port only works with 44khz stereo, and only has optical
digital
inputs and outputs. Both of the other devices work at 32 and 48khz as well,
and
both of them also have analog I/O if you need them.

  -- Howard Chu