My thanks to the group for pointing me in the right direction.

As is so often the case, I couldn't 'see the wood for the trees'.

My DVD player has an optical out and I want to record to my MD.

However it needs to be selected from the DVD Player's Set-up menu as it
pumps analogue (RCA out) by default and not concurrently (?) with the digital.

I'm not sure whether it actually modified the Optical out or simply
diverted the signal, in any case result is superb.

Thanks to all.

Rod
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rodeime