On Wed, 30 May 2001, Dan Irwin wrote:

        Hi!

>          I found a Sony MDX-C670 for sale for $100.  I've been looking for
> a cheap car MD unit for a while and was wondering if anyone has any
> opinions on it.  Aside from one lengthy article linked from minidisc.org,
> I've found nothing on this unit.  The unit I found is in perfect working
> order, but the faceplate remove button is missing.
>
>          Just looking for opinions on this unit, or a suggestion on another
> that I might find for under $150.

        I bought one second hand too sometime ago, and *is* a great unit.
I even prefer how does it sounds to my other new head unit, a MDX-C6500X.
Matrix display is a plus, I don't like segment ones, and certainly all the
stupid character animations new models do don't add any
useability/readability improvement.

        Beware though, that this unit uses to have a problem that not
always face: it start refusing discs with a "disc error" message. I'd test
it before purchasing it, put a disc in, play it, turn it off cutting power
to it, power on again, eject the disc, reinsert it, etc. If the unit is ok
you only will get those "disc error" with normal use about a dozen times a
year. If it's hosed, it will start spitting those errors very frequently.

        Pushing the reset button (you have to remove the faceplate and use
a stylus, ballpen, or alike) usually fixes this "hang".

        regards,

Francisco J. Montilla - System & Network admin - Seville - Spain
pacopepe>AT>insflug.org - irc: pukka - Coordinador INSFLUG (insflug.org)
DoQmail: qmail en castellano es.qmail.org - OpenSlink Project: slink.org