las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> And compared to the DCC the Md is a huge success.  Although it is possible that
> there is a DCC-list like the MD-list on the net, I kind of doubt it.

I'm on the DCC list. We're averaging about 2 messages a year these days.

> At least we can still buy blanks and there is still the occasional new unit and
> advance taking place in MDs.

Larry, the "occasional" new unit!? The MD market is practically on
fire right now, everywhere but in the US. Here, every year, we get
just the top sellers from Japan.

>  But Americans seem to love solid state.  I can
> find no other reason for the success of crap like the Rio.

No, the Rio et al. is being fed by the the free MP3/Internet boom, and
the astounding price of solid state memory keeps it at bay. If quick
and easy high speed downloading to MD were available, it would put a
dent in solid state's stride. (Maybe just a dent -- eventually solid
state will be cheap enough to be compelling for audio, but not yet).

> You can buy a VHS tape for less than a dollar!  They seem to be a lot more
> complex and the cost of the raw materials has to cost more than a memory chip.

VHS is much less complex to manufacture. Consider that flash memory is
made in billion dollar IC fabrication facilities.

Rick