From: "Danny-K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > With due respect (and perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you say), this
> > statement is completely false. Digital "achieves a wave" perfectly,
> > provided you sample the wave at twice the highest frequency you're
> > trying to capture. Flaws can be introduced in the conversion (A/D and
> > D/A) steps, but these are quantifiable (and appear simply as
> > correlated noise), there's no missing, magic, "element of wave-ness"
> > that a digital representation lacks.
>
> This is what I'm thinking.
> Think of a perfect sine wave on an old analog oscillator.
> Digital is in essence a series of ones and zeros.  To duplicate that analog
> sine wave digitally, you are limited to those ones and zeros--up and over.
> The higher the sampling rate, the smaller those steps--kinda like how you
> would get "jaggies" on fonts a few years ago.  Monitors have improved so
> things don't look all pixelesque, just as A/D converters have improved in
> their "resolution".
>
> I am curious to learn exactly how sampling at twice the highest frequency
> changes things.  I'm trying to visualize it, but I can't grasp it.

Thats one that really got me at first but a quick search using Google
has found a document which may be worth reading.  Obviouslly there are
quite a few technical bits but it does explain something I had real
trouble understanding at first-- how you re-create waveforms based on
a limited number of samples, and importantly, why oversampling in the
D-A stage works.

<http://www.earlevel.com/Digital%20Audio/Oversampling.html>

Hope that helps!
 ___ ____________________________________________________________ ___
|   |                                                            |   |
| o |            Gaz Bell - [EMAIL PROTECTED]            | o |
|   |------------------------------------------------------------|   |
| o |  _____                                 _____               | o |
|   | |  __ \  ____  _  _____  ____  _____  /  ___| _____  ____  |   |
| o |  ICQ: 36892193  http://www.princegaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk  | o |
| o |             "An ye harm none, do what ye will"             | o |