On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:56:27 +0100 (BST), md-l-digest wrote:

Overlap of the track is not necessarily bad. By varying the placement
angle of the heads on the drum (azimuth?) we can effect an alternating
polarization of the tracks as they are written to the tape. This allows
the tracks to be written such that they overlap slightly, which allows
for increased track density.

Michael