A couple positive signs that MD might be catching on:

Just today, I saw some MZ-R37's at "The Wall", a chain music store in the
Oxford Valley Mall (NE Philadelphia).  They had  an "open box" unit for $70,
a half dozen sealed boxes for $100 and a half dozen blister pack with USB
adapter for $130.  Never thought I'd see any MD gear there!

Last week, one of they guys in the office who is a big MP3 fan became an
MD convert when he picked up an "open box" MZ-R700 with USB adapter
for $140.  He loves it!  Now he has a portable audio device so he can\
listen to his music away from the computer.  I turned him on to using a NiMH
AA camera battery instead of the NiCd that Sony supplies.  (I've been doing
this in my MZ-R70 for months now.)  This eliminates the "memory effect" of
NiCd, plus NiMH has more energy capacity and a much "flatter" discharge
curve for even longer life.

Now if we could just get them to start releasing more pre-recorded MDs, I
think the popularity would soar among the general public...