==================BEGIN QUOTE==================
| I have horrible visions of the label catching on something inside the
| deck. Is this unlikely?
======================END QUOTE================
For a short while, I put spine labels on my MDs but found that they start to
peel off, or there are remnants of label glue existing on the MD's shell.
This, I agree, is worrisome with MD equipment that uses powered slot-loading
mechanisms or changer mechanisms which handle the disc like most home MD
equipment and all car MD equipment.

>From what I have observed, most MD changers, both the car units and the
bookshelf systems, often rely on an "elevator" to collect the desired disc
from particular "floors" (holding bays which you slot the discs into) and
either lower the disc over a read / write mechanism right next to the
"ground floor" (lowest holding bay) or build the read / write mechanism into
the "elevator" so that the disc is drawn directly from the "floor" into the
"elevator" for use by the player.

I have had some bad experiences with car cassette players which "drop" the
cassette into the playing position when the user pushes the tape in,
trapping tapes because of the labels starting to peel off.

Now, when I label an MD, I use the face lahel and make sure that it is
firmly stuck to the disc casing; and avoid using the spine label. Also, if
any spine labels start to peel off, I would remove them instantly and make
sure there is no remnant gum on the disc housing. This would then prevent
"foul-ups" when discs are used in "slot-in" MD equipment or MD changers.

With regards,

Simon Mackay