Before this post I did a little research to see if I could find a Sony MP3
player similar to a Rio.  From my research, I have found that Sony doesn't
seem to make an actual MP3 player.

They make a music clip that requires you to convert MP3 files to ATRAC3.  I
actually went back to the community page to see what they were talking about
when they said ATRAC3.  I don't feel so bad because it was listed in the FAQ.

If you are highly knowledgeable about all forms of ATRAC skip this section:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATRAC3, as most of you probably know (but I'm sure there are some people on
the list new to MD-and even though I have been involved with MD for a long
time, I really didn't read about the nomenclature when MDLP came out) is the
form of ATRAC used in MDLP.

Again, most you know that it is incompatible with previous ATRAC schemes
(that much I knew).  But all MDLP units have the ability to play ATRAC1 and
ATRAC1 version R making it backwards compatible.

Before I gone on to talk about Sony's clip, I thought that an explanation of
ATRAC types might be of use to people on the list new to MD.  What we call
ATRAC 1 (notice the space between the C and the 1) is really ATRAC1 version
1.0 ATRAC 2 is ATRAC1 version 2.0 and so on.  Then there is ATRAC1 Version R
(which it seems to me could have been called ATRAC1 version 6).

I find this interesting.  There was an ATRAC2 which was never used in any
product!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway Sony's MP3 player isn't really an MP3 player at all!  It's an ATRAC3
player.  In order to download MP3 files from your computer to the Clip, you
must first use Sony software and convert them from MP3 to ATRAC3.

My whole point when I first started looking to see if Sony made an MP3
player, was based on a theory of mine that Sony does not encourage MP3 since
it is now in the record business.  Remember this is the same company that
went to court to fight for the individual's right to make home recordings.

I think that somewhere along the line the music industry is going to have to
come to the realization that the internet has changed the "rules" and some
kind of provisions are going to have to be make for the legal downloading of
copyrighted material.

Larry