> >Ok, a bit overkill, but it certainly fits the bill of being portable!  If
> >its anything like my old Palm Professional, it would be about the size of
> >an MZ-R50.  My Palm Professional was, without the case, almost the exact
> >same size as my R50.
>
> For the record, the Clie is about the same size as the Palm V/Vx.

Sweet!  Having never seen one in person, the Palm Professional seemed like
a good guess for size.  For the record, I have a Palm Vx, and the size is
about as close to perfect for a PDA as I've seen.

> The N710C (US model), and the 700C (when flashed) can both take Memory
> Sticks right up to the 128MB ones. To play ATRAC3, only white
> (MagicGate) can be used. The blue/purple ones can hold any amount of
> MP3s and other files. No ATRAC3 though.

This seems strange, but I'm sure there's some explaination...  Why does
the hardware (the type of Memory Stick used) affect what can be put on it?
Clearly I don't understand Memory Stick technology...  Does the MagicGate
have a built-in ATRAC3 decoder or something?  Or is it just a "security"
thing?

> It has to be 'signed out' through their program OpenMG. Maximum of 3
> signouts, so you can't just copy it to all your friends. This can also
> convert MP3s on the fly as they're being transferred, if you like your
> music in ATRAC3 format.

So what happens if I "sign out" some music, which I've paid for, put it on
a memory card, then decide that I want to use my Clie to record something
through the line-in?  If I repeat this two more times, am I rewarded with
a song, which I've paid for, that I can't listen to?

If there's some FAQ about this, I'd like to take a look...

> Just to reiterate, the N710C (retailing for $450-$500) will happily
> play MP3s.  ecost.com have 128MB Memory Sticks for $105.  So you can
> get a 2-hours-of-music playing, 11-hour battery life, full colour
> hi-res all-singing all-dancing Palm which plays videos for $600. And
> it fits in your jacket pocket. Not too bad eh?

Not too shabby!  I'll consider it when I get around to replacing my Palm
Vx.  It sounds similar to Palm's m505, which I've been drooling over for a
while now, but with more and better features.  The only thing I don't
like, which is the same complaint I have with all solid-state storage
devices, is the cost of the media.

-- Dave Kimmel
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ICQ: 5615049