> I'm considering purchasing a Sony R700DPC if I can find one for $200 or
less.
> The 900 is just out of my budget.
>
> What I'm concerned about is what to do with my Sharp MD-C2?  If I purchase
the
> 700, I'm fairly sure that all of my recordings will be in the LP2 mode.
This
> means that they can not be played back on my Sharp.
>
> I really like the convenience of being able to press one button and
> automatically copy 3 CDs to 3 MDs.  I'd hate to have to give that  up.
>
> The other thing that I was planning to do if I bought the 700 was to sell
my
> Aiwa FM-70,  But I saw one listed on eBay for only $25.00 in "mint"
condition.

> I would also probably sell my Sharp MS200 (actually the Denon Clone).  I
have
> held on to this unit for some time because in spite of it's "large" size
by
> today's standards, I feel it was one of the best portable recorders made
(over
> all).
>
> I also have extra accessories for it, like an LCD remote.  The remote is
not
> backlit, but I feel was one of the best remotes offered (it did not come
> standard with the unit.  You had to purchase it separately).
>
> The remote is very thin, small and has a real metal case (the 700 does not
even
> have an LCD on it's remote-although if I have the luck that I had with the
> remote on my high end portable Sony CD player, it would probably die
anyway.

> Interested in any thoughts.  Especially from anyone who owns an MDLP
recorder.

> BTW, in the local Sunday paper Best Buy advertised the Sony 700 (crappy
price of
> $249), so I guess that Best Buy is not ready to stop selling MD units
after all.

> Maybe I'm a schmuck (I know that some of you are already saying, "What
does he
> mean Maybe :)" but I still think that there is room for an MD market in
the US.
> The MDLP brings something new to the table.
>
> Too bad that we can't get Toshiba into MD.  They seem to be making a lot
of fair
> priced, high quality products these days, often with features unique to
them.

> Sure you can buy a plain old 19" TV/VCR combo for about $230 or less.  But
> Toshiba offers a FLAT SCREEN 20" with a decent grade HiFi VCR.
>
> Their DVD players have also gotten very favorable reviews.  If they made
an MD
> recorder from the ground up, I'll bet it would be a step above what's out
there
> now.
>
> Larry

While Toshiba dont have a fully fledged product in the frame, TosLink was
developed by them (Toshiba Link....) so I guess they have a helping hand in
most MD equipment (Its easy to tell if there is a Toshiba device in your
deck, if it says TOTX173 or 176 or TORX173 or 176 then its one of theirs)

Stuart Howlette