In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Simon Mackay wrote:

> Most HiFi VCRs do support this form of recording. This can be done by
> selecting LINE-IN on the VCR and hooking up a radio tuner to the audio
> inputs. You don't hook anything up to the video inputs.

This isn't true of VHS HiFi machines I've tried in the UK: they need a
video signal at the same time, or they simply won't record. Probably
the video is required for locking the speed of the tape transport. But
you can feed them with a dummy video source in parallel with your
radio -- even an old games console will do, if it outputs something
approximating to a broadcast waveform.

Up to a few months ago I used MiniDiscs for recording radio, but now I
use a PC with digital satellite card, streaming the DVB data direct to
hard disc. In Europe, digital radio programmes are broadcast in mp2
form, mostly in stereo at 128, 192 or 256kbit/s, depending on the
broadcaster, although there's one mono DAB station hereabouts that's
at only 64kbit/s. A hard disc of the capacity routinely fitted to new
PCs could record continuously for two or three weeks, Windows
permitting. I cut up the recordings afterwards with MP3 Butcher (it
handles mp2 too) and use CD-R for any I want to keep; it's possible to
get 6-10 hours of stereo on to a single CD-R, depending on the data
rate. Cost of the recording medium is incredibly low and playback
quality is identical to the original broadcasts -- which cannot be
said of MD recordings.

I switched to using CD-Rs when a two-hour programme I like suddenly
became available in stereo. I could have bought an LP-capable MD
machine instead. But its recordings would have been unplayable on my
other MD machines, which would have thus instantly become useless.

Richard Lambley