Great list.  Wish I had more technical expertise, but it's enjoyable.  Now
for a change of pace?

It's a long, boring story that has no point except I have the choice between
and ONLY between the Sharp MD-MT90 and the Aiwa AM-F70 and I'm not sure
about which one to choose.  I have no other choices (the long story) so,
please, if you respond, please don't recommend other units.

My main usage will be live recording: the rehearsals and gigs of our
Caribbean steel band, consisting only of steel drums and a drum set.  (any
suggestions on microphones - they don't have to be concealable).  Secondary
usage will be recording meetings and/or interviews.  Tertiary usage will be
the main one most people buy MDs for: transferring recorded music to play
'out there.'

I like the Automatic Level Control of the Aiwa for speech, and the Sharp
doesn't have that.  I like the bass boost of the Sharp for live music and
the Aiwa doesn't have that.

Anyone have any experience they'd care to share, about quality or
reliability or whatever?

Thanks