"Eric Woudenberg, Minidisc.org Editor" wrote:

> So Michael, it seems you've now moved on to DataPlay and DVD density
> discs as the thing to rest your heart upon. After you find out how
> little access the recording industry will be giving you to your data
> when stored in these formats, come on back and we can pick up this
> discussion again. :-)

Yeah, think about it, digital TVs have been around longer than DVDs (although
there were format wars and no broadcasts in digital until recently so no
manufacture was offering them to consumers in the US.  But the FCC's mandatory
digital broadcasting was actually supposed to have taken place (not sure who
set the deadline back).

Now DVD's being a digital format should have a digital video output compatible
with digital tvs.  They only have digital audio out.  They've already got their
Macrovision (I don't care what anyone says, I think that it can have an adverse
affect on the picture quality).  So what are they afraid of?

They've thrown us a bone with RGB (component video, "Colorstream").  But all of
this has to go through a DAC.  We should be able to obtain a straight digital
output.

Don't expect to be able to make a copy of a DVD to DVD anytime soon (like our
life time).  Even if they finally decided upon a DVD recorder that would work
on all standard DVD players, could hold the same amount of information as a
prerecorded DVD and cost $2 a blank.

Don't laugh, 74 minute MD blanks were about $16.99 when Sony first released
them.  I remember getting a deal through a friend on 10 for $140.00.  That same
friend managed to get me 10 VHS tapes back in 1980 for $150.00 and that was a
steal.

Today finding blank MDs for under $2 isn't hard and you can purchase brand name
VHS tapes for a buck.

Larry