=============BEGIN QUOTE=============================
Last night I made a compilation CD on a Pioneer twin deck recorder for a
mate of mine, using a number of Minidisc tracks. The first few were
ANALOGUE copies of MD's as the MD's were digital copies of the original
CD. The last few were digital copies (bringing my Sony MZ-1 out of
retirement and using its digital output to feed into the CD deck! I KNEW
it would come in useful one day!), as the source was an MD recording of
an analogue tape!!!!
Once having compiled this I thought 'Hmmm, I'll make a copy of this for
myself', and put the new CD (a mixture of analogue and digital tracks)
into the CD recorder, and managed to copy it all to a blank CD.
My question is because the first few tracks were analogue copies of the
MD, the burner was quite happy to record these, but I was surprised the
last few were allowed as these were digital copies of the MD. When does
the SCMS check get done? At the start of the disc or at the start of
each track? If its the start of the disc, the analogue tracks seem to
have let the digital ones slip through. The only alternative I can think
of is that the CD recorder switched to an analogue copy for the last few
tracks?

I would suspect that the Pioneer, like most twin-deck audio CD burners,
would use SCMS-driven analogue routing. This means that if the tracks on the
original CD are marked SCMS-final, the unit would route the signal through
an internal analogue bus. The reason that this practice is common and able
to be done is that a lot of these units have dual DACs - one for each
transport. This also allows for the unit to be treated as two CD players --
useful for music stores, mixing and the like.

With regards,

Simon Mackay