> "Churchill, Guy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Len Moskowitz and Eric Woudenberg (on his old @hip.atr.co.jp
> > address) also posted in the first year, any other long term,
> > notable members from 1993 still on list ?

I bought an MZ-1 shortly after it was introduced.  There used to be an
"electronics" store downtown that had an owner who loved Sony products.
At that time Sony was sold to dealers through distributors, rather than
directly from the Sony Corporation.

So this guy did a lot of heavy promoting for Sony and since he pushed a
lot of Sony stuff, he was able to get the best prices from the
distributor.

Now I have a friend who works in an appliance store that also used to
sell Sony products.  About the time that MD came out, Sony changed their
policy and started selling directly to dealers.  So I had him special
order the MZ-1 for me and 2 five packs of blanks.

I can't remember what I paid for the unit, but even though it was a good
price, it was still expensive.  The blanks cost me $140 ($14 USD each).
That was a bargain at the time because no one was discounting them and
they were selling for $16.99 each.

In spite of all of the bad stuff that you my have heard about the MZ-1,
I thought it still sounded great.  Don't forget at that time the only
way to make a "copy" of a CD was to transfer it to a cassette.  Compared
to the cassette copy, the MD copy was amazing.

Larry