I'm having some problems copying an MD to another MD.

I'm using a digital lead to connect a Sony JE520 (via its digital optical
output) to a Sony MZR90.
I am playing the MD on the 520, and trying to record it to the MZR90.
I press the record switch on the 90, and when I press play on the 520, I do
hear the source when I monitor via the headphones on the MZR90, but when I
then stop the recording and listen to the new copy on the R90, I hear only
silence, for about as long as I was recording.
Is this a problem with the Atrak compression, that won't allow a compressed
signal to be compressed again - resulting in silence?
If so, is there any way to copy an MD to another MD? I'd rather not have to
go via copying to a CD if I can do it directly, but if I have to do it that
way then I could. Am I going to have the same Atrak 'silence' if I record
to a CD?

Thanks,

Mark
[EMAIL PROTECTED]