Hi everyone!

After reading the post about using MD for vinyl archiving, I would agree
with the concept. A good idea is to use 80-minute MDs for the job because
you could easily fit two standard-length LPs onto one disc.

This was because, during the 70s, most people I knew used to record LPs to
cassette for enjoyment in car stereos and portable equipment. In a lot of
these situations, they would record to C-90 cassettes with the goal of
fitting both sides of one album on one side of the C-90 cassette. With most
popular albums, once both sides of one album were laid down on the one side
of the cassette, there was usually 5-10 minutes worth of spare tape left,
which could allow a user to insert a bonus track.

This let them have nearly one and ha half hour's worth of music on the one
tape with 45 minutes between side-changes. The listeners would have the
choice of listening to both albums by playing one after another or they
would listen to one particular album by rewinding the cassette to the
beginning of the side that had that album.

In the inner suburbs in Australian capital cities, where there are many
university students and like-minded people, there were some "funky
lounge-room" bars that catered to this community. These bars were furnished
with  the kind of furniture that was common in household living areas during
the 60s and the 70s. The owners of these places often played 60s and 70s
music off vinyl and one place that I attended as part of a graduation party
had regular clients that loved the sound of the vinyl -- they  would expect
the hear the familiar crackling noises that accompanied the music.

In these situations, I would find that recording the vinyl to MD would work
wonders because the records will last longer. In this situation, the LPs
would have to be cleaned as would be expected for normal playback; then
recorded to MD. You could use a deck that is equipped with MDLP and Group
Mode for this application and record the vinyl in LP2 mode on 80-minute
discs. Each LP would be recorded as its own "group" on the disc. Then the
bar owner "rests" the LPs and plays the MDs -- the crackling sound is still
there on the MDs.

With regards,

Simon Mackay