"Graham Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>There is a definite problem with increasing the write speed to
>disc... This is one of the main reasons (besides poor marketing and
>excessive price) that MD data never made it big time - the write
>speed is limited due to the physical properties of the disc and/or
>the limited amount of laser power...

As someone who uses MO drives on a daily basis for data storage, I would
have to disagree with the above assessment. A blank MD is simply a
magneto-optical disc. There is nothing in MO technology that prevents the
write speed from being fast enough to use for mass data storage.

I am now on my third MO drive, a FireWire model. This one reads and writes
to 1.3GB, 640MG, 256MB, and 128MB magneto-optical discs. Fujitsu is soon
releasing new 2GB discs that will be backwards-compatible with this drive.
The write speed on the drive with verification is faster than burning a CD,
and much faster than a Zip drive. With write-once (no verification)
technology, writing data approaches magnetic hard drive speeds.