>Sorry to reask this, but which auto MD radios have been the best?
Anyone have
>the Sony C6500 or Sony C800REC ? Thanks for everyone's help. Jerry

It's hard to say what is "best" when we don't know your priorities, but
I can say I own the C6500X and absolutely *love* it.  Things I like
include:

- Good sound IMO (this is always subjective of course), balanced trebles
and mids - having 4 x 50 watts helps (previous Sony headunits were
generally 4 x 35/40 w) - not for more volume - the extra power gives
better sound at all volumes
- decent (but not overblown) bass boost (2 levels)
- reasonably logical controls - the central "source" button surrounded
by the volume control and playstation-esche "control pad" works well.
- the display (in red w/ white LEDs) looks awesome
- supports the custom file function of my Sony CD changer
- good FM tuner & ability to title FM stations

Things it lacks/things I don't like:

- non-MDLP (although if/when I go MDLP an MDLP MD changer could always
be hooked up)
- the LED display is segmented (like a calculator display, hope this
makes sense) rather than dot matrix, so although it displays MD titling
info fine, it doesn't show lower case and stuff.
- there is no option to have track titles continuously scroll.
- the "off" button is impossibly small and inconspicuous - it's hard
enough to find it when you're driving and you *know* where it is - how
people who are in my car on occasion are ever going to find out how to
turn the stereo off in a hurry is beyond me.

However many of these features/misfeatures will be present on the
C800REC, except that it has a dot matrix display.  Of course, it's not
really comparing apples and apples - the C800REC has record and editing
functions and in NZ was twice the price of the C6500X.  They're both of
the same generation though.

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific
questions about the C6500X and I'll try to answer them!

Richard Lang
Senior Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com
This communication contains information that is confidential and which may be subject
to legal privilege or subject to copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, distribute or copy the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail,
facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3 379 2430 and destroy the original.  We
virus scan all e-mails and electronic media but are not responsible for any virus or
alternation.