"Jarvie, James" wrote:

> I wanted to point out that JVC has a series of auto CD players that also have an aux
>input that can be used quite nicely for a portable MD unit.   There are three of
>them, and the most expensive of the three also plays MP3 CDs.  I have the least
> expensive of the three, and I absolutely love it.  I have an Aiwa in another car
>(which I also bought because, at the time, it was the only one I could find with an
>aux in), and I think the JVC blows away the Aiwa.  An awesome unit.
>
> James Jarvie

The different experiences that people have with electronics is interesting.  The
original Aiwas that I bought came from Sam's club and came with 2 (not so great)
speakers for about $120.00 (USD).

My youngest son bought a JVC unit that he paid much more for.  While the Aiwa was
completely electronic, the JVC used a "manual" volume control.  Aside from the fact
that the JVC has spent a great deal of time in the repair shop and is currently not
working properly, I was never impressed with it's audio performance.

When my son and I switched cars, I couldn't believe that a car receiver could make
such a difference in sound quality.  The car only had OEM speakers in it.  Yet I could
hear a clear improvement in quality when I installed the Aiwa.

I really can't take full advantage of the new Aiwa MP3 because it's frequency range
and ability to set the bass to very powerful levels can't be handled by the OEM
speakers in the cheap Ford Escort we have.

I'm not going to improve the speakers because I intend to get my 1990 Quad 4 Grand Am
back on the road (I love that car) and switch radios.

This goes back a long time ago, but before the Circuit Cities and Best Buys moved into
Wilkes-Barre, one of the places that carried a large line of audio and video equipment
was a privately own store where the owner loved that kind of stuff.

He would sell things that he was into at the time.  Before I moved to the area he used
to sell motorcycles in addition to the electronics.  But I'm getting off of the topic.

At that time I was interested in in some JVC equipment and asked him why he didn't
carry JVC.  He told me that he used to but that JVC's service was terrible.  They
would not back up their products.

That was a while back.  To be fair to JVC, I own what was their top of the line
consumer Super VHSC camcorder.  It is 6 years old and I have never had a problem with
it.  My oldest son "borrowed" it from me (which means I'll probably never see it
again) and uses it constantly (he is the Chairman of the drama dept. at an
internationally known college prep HS).

Personally I have had the most problems with Sony products (reliability, not sound
quality).  But they often make products that are at least for a while so unique that
you often have no other choice.

Not counting digital TV, or their BXR? line, the picture quality on their Vega TVs is
stunning.  For a while they were the only companies offering pure flat screen TVs.

Regards,
Larry