I've recently had to take a small diversion from getting Mercury/32 v4.5
ready for release to prepare a patch for v4.01. The patch works around a
vulnerability in the IMAP server where sending IMAP "literals" formatted in
a particular way would crash the running copy of Mercury/32. While I was at
it, I corrected a couple of fairly significant memory leaks in the IMAP
server - these had been discovered during the implementation of the audited
memory allocation manager in v4.5 (see my last blog post for more on this).


Having to prepare patches like this raises very mixed feelings in me: on
the one hand, I accept that vulnerabilities are inevitable in software that
exposes itself to the world, and feel that I should be grateful that the
vulnerability was discovered before (as far as we know) any particular
damage resulted from it. On the other hand, though, some of the people who
seem to spend so much time discovering these vulnerabilities also strike me
as being sad, dangerous individuals with fairly significant social
problems. The fact that I had to learn about this vulnerability very
indirectly (i.e, the person who discovered it made no effort to report it
to me) annoys and saddens me. OK, get your jollies by trying to break other
peoples' work - that's fine, and it's even quite constructive and helpful
from a certain perspective; but if you succeed, for Heaven's sake tell the
author so he can fix it! Any kudos you might get for being such a clever
bunny and discovering an obscure problem is immediately eviscerated by not
acting responsibly with that discovery.


Anyway, to whomever discovered this weakness - my sincerest thanks: one
day, perhaps I'll be able to meet you and shake you warmly by the throat.


-- David --

URL: 
http://community.pmail.com/blogs/mercury32/archive/2007/05/02/mercury-32-v4-01c-patch.aspx

-- 
[email protected] mailing list
Send administrative requests (subscribe, unsubscribe, change options) to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(use "help" in the Subject line for a summary of common options)
You can also use the web interface at:
https://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
For assistance, contact:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to