Sabahattin,
I finally decided to read through the whole thing last night since  
the blog post and the storm of comments in its wake seems to have  
calmed down...

(Scroll down to the bottom of the Waxy.org blog post and you'll see  
my comments -- short, sweet and non-controversial)

I've got my own thoughts on the subject and just this morning was  
deciding whether to put them on my own blog, document them then lock  
them away
in the Malinche vault or, thanks to you reminding me, post them here.

I'll post them here and keep them brief.

I knew about 80% of the Milliways story already.  This article  
filled  the blanks in.  Excellent!

One of the biggest blanks was the contract Infocom had with Douglas  
Adams.  I thought Infocom was just plain TIED to Douglas Adams which is
why, when Mr. Adams exercised the single greatest talent he ever had,  
procrastination, I was under the false belief that Infocom was  
powerless to
do anything more than just wait until the late great Douglas Adams  
kicked in another creativity session between baths.

Since Infocom had the option, in writing, to proceed without Douglas  
Adams, why didn't they?

Yes I know that Grandmaster Lebling (or was it Grandmaster Meretzky?)  
said they really didn't want to do The HHG sequel without Douglas  
Adams but,
shit, isn't a three or four year delay in production reason enough to  
proceed without him?

Milliways was obviously very important to Infocom's success and,  
later on, survival.  I wasn't there in the room when all these  
decisions were made but if
I were I would've done things veeeeeery diffierently.

First -- I would have assigned Grandmaster Meretzky to Implement   
Milliways straight away.  He worked with Douglas Adams before on HHG.
Grandmaster Meretzky was in the perfect position to know best how  
Douglas thought, how best to work with him whenever possible, etc.  
etc.  The Milliways
project should never have been a hot potato.  Berez/Dorn should've  
given it right to Meretzky with these orders:

"Bring Milliways to market in 12-18 months.  Anything else you are  
working on will be parked on the back burner until Milliways is on  
store shelves.
We all know that Douglas is the prince of Procrastination so give him  
every opportunity to participate but do not let his lack of  
participation slow down this project.
  Our contract allows us to proceed with him or without him.  Better  
with him, of course, but we will settle for without him if we have  
to. If he or the fans complain and/or
  should Milliways crash and burn on arrival, we can always blame  
Doug and his world-famous, well-earned reputation for blowing  
deadlines."

In other words -- I would've given a very basic, very profound order  
that would have changed everything: "Full speed ahead!"

Using this plan of attack would've solved three problems at once:

1) Infocom fans would've been treated to the sequel they craved and  
waited for while providing Infocom ship-loads of cash.

1b) With this new proven model for success in Implementing such a  
powerful franchise, the rivers of cash flowing in to Infocom by  
releasing IF versions of the four remaining
        Douglas Adams' titles contracted for. (According to the  
contract between Infocom and Douglas Adams -- Infocom could've  
published a total of SIX GAMES based on the
        Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- ONCE AGAIN -- WITH OR  
WITHOUT THE PARTICIPATION OF DOUGLAS ADAMS) It's not a stretch of the  
imagination to say that
       five additional Infocom-released HHG games could've turned the  
tide against Cornerstone sinking the whole company making the  
Activision/Mediagenic acquisition improbable.

       Answer and discuss: If Infocom handled the Milliways incident  
the way I outlined it here, is it possible Infocom would still be  
around today...?

2) Douglas Adams may have received a sufficient jolt by seeing the  
project go on without him that he may well have been motivated/ 
inspired to change his ways which would
     have been of even greater benefit to his extended fan base than  
"just" a few HHG sequels.  Does anyone remember the unfinished Dirk  
Gently novel? I, for one, was pretty pissed off
     when I found it I'd never get the chance to read it....

3) It would've sent a clear message to Magnetic Scrolls and the  
industry itself that Infocom is THE player in the interactive fiction  
market and will NEVER play second fiddle
     to anyone else.  Period.

Of course it's all well and good for me to run Infocom from twenty  
years in the future with none of the clashes of personality,  
politics, varying opinions, environmental variables, etc.

Man, if only time travel were possible...

What seems pretty cut-and-dried to me from my enviable position of  
twenty years of experience, two business degrees, etc. etc. was  
probably much less clear twenty years ago.

Twenty years ago I was struggling to stay awake in my 11th grade  
chemistry class, plotting and scheming to have sex with almost every  
girl I knew and playing Infocom games during every free moment.

Howard Sherman

PS The Milliways Incident aside -- the article is a mother lode of  
insights and impressions.  It's kind of like a cross between an  
Infocom reunion party and a history lesson.  Every fan really must  
read the article and the blog comments.




On Apr 27, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This *intriguing* thread has been doing me no end of bad favours  
> over the
> course of the last week or so for being so incredibly amazing. It's a
> description of and links to downloadable skeletons for an unreleased
> Hitchhiker's Guide Infocom game sequal, together with comments from  
> the
> imps in play. The data comes from some sort of archival disk, on which
> corporate emails relating to the project are to be found and of  
> which some
> samples have been published.
>
> Any reasonably long-time IF fan who knows or has at least heard of the
> legend that was Infocom Inc., as well as others like Magnetic  
> Scrolls and
> Level 9 Computing, probably wants to investigate this. It's highly
> addictive!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5su79h
>
> Cheers,
> Sabahattin
>
> -- 
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail<at>sabahattin<dash>gucukoglu<dot>com>
> Address harvesters, snag this: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone: +44 20 88008915
> Mobile: +44 7986 053399
> http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
>
>
> 




-- 
[email protected] mailing list
Send administrative requests (subscribe, unsubscribe, change options) to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(use "help" in the Subject line for a summary of common options)
You can also use the web interface at:
https://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
For assistance, contact:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to