Handover Phist wrote:
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu :
> > Helmut Hullen wrote:
> >>         mailman         no slackware package (?)
> >
> > No.  But you'd be classified a true masochist if you used it, so
> > that's alright.
>
> I've been following this thread since I'm going to be setting up a
> managed mailing list myself, and I'd like to know a bit more about why
> this is a masochistic choice. I've chosen it to try first. I've already
> got the mailing list set up in sendmail and will soon be configuring
> Mailman.

Yeah, you just do that.  And when you're all finished, bruised and
bleeding, you come back here and ask us, all tears and penitence, for
further advice. :-)

Seriously though, it's of course a matter of preference, but I
couldn't stand it from the beginning.  I can't stand the installation
procedure, I can't stand the webification of absolutely everything, I
can't stand the user experience and the hopeless, useless,
bastardised, crappy email interface, I can't stand the per-list
configuration procedure or the painfully slow moderation process that
take me so far from my lovely email clients, I can't stand the way the
files are scattered about on the FS and the use of unreadable DB
files, I can't stand the need for sixty billion commandline tools for
doing bloody simple things, I can't stand the way it keeps
optimistically sending backscatter in the hopes the bounced will
somehow come back from the dead, I can't stand Mailman Tuesday or the
password reminders or, goddammit, even the need for a password by
compulsion, I can't stand having to maintain common configuration
across lists by noting every change on each one and then painfully
having to make them per list, I just can't bloody stand it!  I run
several of these bastards, and all I can say is that I wish I had
control of the host machine so I could RIP it off and replace it with
Ecartis.

But you may feel differently.  Just in case you don't, let me
recommend Ecartis again.  You'll see why, when you get there.  If you
start on it now, you'll see before it's too late.  Honestly, it only
takes one directory in a simple build, and you'll forgive all your
wrongs when you see the beauty of it.

But let me point out a few very good features of Mailman: it's highly
suitable in virtual domain setups and it also has a great degree of
pre-existing integration with Exim, if you happen to use that.
There's also very robust MIME support.  Perhaps if you enjoy these,
you'll appreciate Mailman.

But I still think you're going to bleed if you're anything like the
email and editor/shell addict I am.  It's only when the end-users
mostly consist in "Normal" people that you begin to think that
perhaps, if nothing else, Mailman is sufficiently popular that your
users have a reasonable chance of using it (but is telling them to
email commands like "subscribe" and "help", or using a CGI interface
that requires registration first *really* all that hard?).  If
performance counts and you're the one mostly doing the talking, and
your users only need the ability to get on or off your list, or mostly
consist in individuals generally clued in the matter of command-
response-based software interfaces, then Ecartis or some other less
frilly MLM is the clearest possible winner.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

-- 
[email protected] mailing list
Send administrative requests (subscribe, unsubscribe, change options) to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(use "help" in the Subject line for a summary of common options)
You can also use the web interface at:
https://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi
For assistance, contact:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to