I don't write here often, but I think today is a very special day.

This afternoon, at a nice ceremony of important Internet leaders, the last IPv4 
address blocks from the global pool of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority 
were handed out to the five regional registries.  The clock has been ticking 
long enough, but today it has ticked its last tick.  From now on, all existing 
IPv4 addresses will be allocated from regional registries, and predictions 
ranging from six months to a year for how long those registries realistically 
have have emerged.

IPv6 has been long enough coming.  It's ready, tested and here to take the 
stage.  It's modern, beautiful and exquisitely designed.  It's future-proof, 
feature-packed and awe-inspiring.  While I've been vocal about it to some of 
you to the point of actually being annoying, most of you understand the 
significant gist of what I just wrote.  In order for the Internet to grow, 
there must be a continued supply of IP addresses.  Those addresses cannot be 
IPv4 addresses forever.  There is no crisis today, not tomorrow, not next week 
... but soon.  We need to be conscious of IPv6 when we invest in anything from 
this point onward.  For ISPs, hardware makers, etc, to ignore it is 
irresponsible.  We must make sure IPv6 is chosen where it is available when 
making choices to buy.  It's easy to see that at this point, only fools will 
leave the inevitable to the last minute; many will, of course, and I hope for 
their sakes that they choose a time optimal for their enjoyment of continued 
business.  But from now on, to all of us, IPv6 is the new IP of the Internet.

So, to the deployment, use and enjoyment of IPv6, to the great engineers that 
made it happen, and to all of the many wonderful things it will do for us and 
the Internet of the future ...

Cheers!
Sabahattin

Reply via email to