Now I've got a clean list (using the mailing list manager's invitation process), it's a lot smaller. Three people, in fact. But I'm still going to spam you. Don't worry: I'll be the one doing the spamming. :-)
This is also my blog, in a sense: the list is the discussion and responses bit, and the archive is the blog roll. Clever, in it? Mail-archive.com provides the archives, so you should be spam blocked. However, please check your membership options for the Hidden flag, because by the default subscribers can view the membership. I'm still on Twitter as @sgucukoglu, but having determined the peace and quiet of the simple mailing list, you may be sure that serenity prevails here first and foremost. Being 2012, I have also set Reply-To to the list (be careful where your replies go) and allow attachments and HTML. I fully expect that nobody on this list will seriously be inconvenienced by this, but I will field complaints. Textmode users should consider switching from mutt to Alpine if they go via IMAP, or heirloom mailx. One popular demand from bored ex-members was automatic list management. I regret that now, this seems only to include Mailman. I was really, really tempted by Majordomo2 ( http://www.mj2.org/ ) but it's hard to install on Debian-based systems without some hackery and it has a few bugs which only a perl expert--and I'm not a perl expert, thank goodness--can fix. Perhaps you can review it for yourself and judge it on its merits in your application, but any good it does is obviously outweighed by its practical applicability. And while Mailman is mainstream and popular and utilitarian and geeky, it does at least work, where MJ2 often had bugs or was behind the times. Now, for the news: Time Capsule 2 TB, Time Capsule 3 TB, and Airport Extreme are available for the taking. You should endeavour to make an offer of some kind in exchange, lest your fiercest rival make a better one. But the possibility exists that you could get any of these fine articles FOR FREE! They are just sitting here, doing nothing, and somebody needs them. Compatible with 802.11A/B/G/dual-N devices, but management software is Windows or OS X only. WAN is Ethernet, or it can bridge all four of its GigE ports together. Wi-fi can of course be turned off. These devices DO NOT support AirPlay; for that you need an Airport Express or Apple TV. WDS supported. NAT supported. IPv6 ND/PD/router/host/6in4 support. USB for external hard disk or printer. Users of DSL should consider taking this device anyway, and then also buying a Draytek 120 bridge; the combination works fantastically and is solid as a rock. Also for cable (where you receive the IP directly) or as an Ethernet client of DHCP or PPPoE in case that is how you authenticate. I switched to T-Mobile (in the UK). The PAYG (Pay As You Go) SIMs there allow you to tether, and you can pay up front for airtime. I love this model. Not quite as awesome as Turkcell in Turkey, but one heckofalot better than O2 in the UK, where they explicitly disable tethering unless you're on contract. Well, what else would you expect from an all-hands marketing company who openly admit to tracking? Then again, I'm now with BT Infinity (VDSL2 FTTC) rather than cable, so I'm clearly still in bad hands, of sorts. Phorm, tiered priority pricing, and so on. The other nice thing about T-mobile UK is of course that they now offer LTE service (if you're on contract) under Everything Everywhere. There's no hope in sight that I'll get off the upgrade gravy train as far as Apple is concerned, so we'll see how the LTE pricing shakes out before going on a Safari, if you'll excuse the terrible joke there. My old email address is dead. This one works, so if you contact me by it, I'll give you my personal one if you need it. They both go to the same mailbox. My domain only hosts mailing lists now. Apple's iCloud for Mac and iPhone users does give you three aliases plus the primary address, and this is now how I'm preventing spam. Unless I start getting too much spam, though, they should be fixed and I'll try to make the necessary arrangements if they change again. iCloud isn't bad, but it's spam filtering is utter shite, and so is its filtering capabilities, even though it does leave me with less work to do overall and provides push support (no IMAP IDLE for iPhone, still). Ah, TMDA, how I miss thee. But it's always about me, isn't it? :-) In the IPv6 world domination spotlight, you'll no doubt be happy to hear that IPv4 address space allocations from RIPE (European registry) are now done. Like APNIC before it, RIPE must now conservatively allocate only for transitional uses. IPv6, bring it on! :-) Windows 8 is out, as you know. It works, and it's suitable to people who had no problems with Windows 7, but it has a much better Narrator. Although I do think there are legitimate UI criticisms, just for a nice change they mean almost nothing from an accessibility perspective. So, go for it. You'll need the right media--Microsoft will sell you upgrade media, but this requires XP, Vista or 7 be installed first even if you do a clean install. There's no speech during installation, but it's still possible to do a clean install (no repartitioning) from your existing OS. However, if you want a completely new license with a key that works from scratch with no OS previously installed, you need what's called the System Builder, Personal Use License. This, of course, costs more and isn't available as a download. Incidentally, I'd advise anyone interested in investigating stuff Microsoft has to offer get a TechNet subscription. They aren't too expensive, and you can bypass all this nonsense. The same is very true of Apple, with Apple Developer. Finally, and this one is most recent, the terrible news that Mark Crispin, the father of IMAP, has a terminal illness. IMAP is almost universally used now by email providers, and Mark's creation of something this complicated and yet this interoperable is commendable. His frankly argumentative style is of course a trademark, but in spite of the fact that we often disagreed his contribution and presence was massive and he *will* be missed by the email-loving community. Best wishes to him, I say. Right, that'll do for now. Don't forget, you can always check my Twitter page even if you aren't using Twitter yourself, at http://twitter.com/sgucukoglu . My home page at http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/ has been updated with the links to Twitter and the list. Until next time … In a bit, Me _______________________________________________ Me-mates mailing list [email protected] http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/me-mates
