Hiya,

Technically, this message is spam.  It’s unsolicited, and it’s a little bit 
commercial …

I have something to sell you, in order the better to further deplete my 
inventory of iThings, until I’ve figured out where I’m going next.  A MacBook 
Pro mid 2014 “Retina" that is in very good condition.  2.8 GHz quad-core I7 
(Haswell), with 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD.  It supports all features of the 
latest OS X, and is the last MacBook Pro that’ll run Windows 7 if that matters 
to you.  I’m asking £900 for it, plus postage.  If you are interested, let me 
know.

I am finishing up my NAS project (a Mac Mini running Linux that is connected to 
a 5-disk DAS), and then I’ll be in a position to choose any OS that supports 
SMB is my next platform.  I’m frankly a bit pissed off with the current state 
of accessibility right now.  It’s a bit of a shit show.  I’m on OS X now but 
I’m about ready to split owing to Apple’s continued neglect of the platform, 
their apparent unwillingness to fix their shit, and the choice-restraining 
politics which simply refuses to die.  My experimentation with contemporary 
Windows, however, is leading me to the (surprising) conclusion that Windows 8.1 
plus Classic Shell is the way forward … in light of Microsoft’s Windows 10 
antics, which you doubtless all know about by now.  (And if you don’t, be glad 
you don’t!)  Naturally, right now, OS X is just the least worst, and I’m 
converting more blind people over to that platform to save their sanity.  But, 
if I ever overcome the difficulty and cost of switching back to Windows, there 
are consequences: screen reader innovation has practically ceased, and there 
are real accessibility challenges that simply haven’t been addressed adequately 
at all (ribbons, social media platforms, many web 2.0 UIs, Skype, sustainable 
and independent installation and recovery of the system).  I can’t believe this 
is the best the market can manage.  I keep hoping that I’ll install the latest 
version of any of the screen readers and _not_ feel like I haven’t just stepped 
back into a really bad remake of 2005, where pressing Tab is still the accepted 
way to learn screen layout.  I mean, FFS, even Google ChromeVox is superior.  
And Linux?  Nope, boot the live image to a completely muted sound card …

Perhaps the smartphone really is the future …

I’ll catch up with you guys when this is all over. :)

Cheers,
Sabahattin

_______________________________________________
Me-mates mailing list
[email protected]
https://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/me-mates

Reply via email to