Without digging into the actual reasons, it's likely that growing a larger arraylist is slower than growing a smaller one, and since you never clear it, the later calls will therefore be slower. I would very much like a benchmark of method call time to be allocation- and garbage-free, otherwise I really don't know what's being tested.

S.