Todd Lipcon <t...@lipcon.org> wrote:

> I've seen this kind of bimodal performance behavior even in native apps. On
> some builds, a benchmark will consistently run in 6 seconds, and on the
> next build, it will go back to 5 seconds.

I have heard of similar effects with a single build where the variation
between runs is due to differences in page mapping, e.g. in this link
where the author discusses "Sometimes the OS hands us a range of physical
pages that works well for our workloads, other times it doesn’t."

https://www.pvk.ca/Blog/2012/07/30/binary-search-is-a-pathological-case-for-caches/

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Fitzroy: Southwesterly veering northwesterly later in northwest, 4 or 5