Thank you for the feedback! Appreciate it. Yes, you are right. The
intention was not to show that THP is an awesome feature but to share
techniques to measure and control risks. I made the changes
<https://github.com/alexandrnikitin/blog/compare/2139c405f0c50a3ab907fb2530421bf352caa412...3e58094386b14d19e06752d9faa0435be2cbe651>to

highlight the purpose and risks.

The experiment is indeed interesting. I believe the "defer" option should
help in that environment. I'm really keen to try the latest kernel (related
not only to THP).

*Frankly, I still don't have strong opinion about huge latency spikes in
allocation path in general. I'm not sure whether it's a THP issue or
application/environment itself. Likely it's high memory pressure in general
that causes spikes. Or the root of the issues is in something else, e.g.
the jemalloc case.*